Franklin Savings Bank’s Community Development Foundation has awarded college scholarships to 12 local students.
The scholarships are generally $3,000 each, although Madison Area Memorial High School opted to split the scholarship into two this year. The bank awards the scholarships each year to students from 10 local schools.
- Telstar Regional High School: Anne Elizabeth Cushman of Bryant Pond, daughter of Nancy and Matt Cushman. She plans to major in business at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.
- Telstar Regional High School: Amber Delaney Souve, of Hanover, daughter of Faye and Derek Souve. She plans to major in business administration at the University of Maine.
- Spruce Mountain High School: Chad Richards, of Livermore Falls, son of Tracy Sturtevant. He plans to major in business management at Central Maine Community College.
- Mt. Blue High School: Alexander Bunnell, of Wilton, son of Chris and Sheena Bunnell. He plans to major in business administration at the University of New Hampshire.
- Mt. Blue High School: Caitlin Kane, of Wilton, daughter of Gavin and Carole Kane. She plans to major in international business at Maine Maritime Academy.
- Rangeley Lakes Regional School: Michaela Shorey, of Oquossoc, daughter of Raymond Shorey Jr. and Helene Levy. She plans to major in diagnostic medical sonography at the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Services.
- Mountain Valley High School: Ryley Flynn, of Mexico, son of Greg & Caroline Flynn, plans to major in business management at Thomas College.
- Skowhegan High School: Leah B. Kruse, of Norridgewok, daughter of Joe and Liz Kruse. She plans to major in business administration at Bentley University.
- Carrabec High School: Bianca Beaulieu, of Anson, daughter of Dana and Narcisa Beaulieu. She plans to major in global management at Bentley University.
- Mt. Abram High School: Courtland David Talmage, of Kingfield, son of David and Julie Talmage. He plans to major in computer science at Bowdoin College.
- Dirigo High School: Gabrielle Rose Chartier, of Dixfield, daughter of Rene and Tracy Chartier. She plans to major in business at the University of Maine.
- Madison Area Memorial High School: Kayla Bess, of Madison, daughter of Jeff and Jen Bess. She plans to major in sports management and marketing at Thomas College.
- Madison Area Memorial High School: Aly LeBlanc, of Madison, daughter of Chris and Michelle LeBlanc. She plans to major in nutrition with a minor in business at August University.
“We are pleased to be able to help this great group of young people. They’ve worked very hard to achieve many great things while in high school. It’s our pleasure to help them pursue their goals for higher education. I’m confident they will continue to succeed,” said Peter Judkins, President and CEO at Franklin Savings Bank.
Scholarships from the Franklin Savings Bank Community Development Foundation were awarded to students who plan to attend a four-year college with studies concentrating in accounting, finance, marketing, management, computer sciences or other business related courses. The graduating seniors were selected as Franklin Scholars based largely on high academic achievement, which alone represented 70 percent of the criteria for scholarship selection. The remaining 30 percent was based on community citizenship, participation in extra-curricular activities, such as athletics, band, school clubs or drama, and financial need.
The bank’s Community Development Foundation grants the scholarships to the schools, which select the student and administer the scholarship.
Franklin Savings Bank’s Community Development Foundation was created in 2000 to support community, economic and educational needs within the communities served by Franklin Savings Bank. To date, the Foundation has awarded $575,000 to more than 248 students and is one of the most generous scholarships available in the area.
Mt. Blue High School graduates Caitlin Kane and Alexander Bunnell, flanked by FSB Executive Vice President Tim Thompson and President Peter Judkins.
(l-r) FSB's Jen Merrill, Amber Delaney Souve of Telstar Regional High School, FSB's Stacy Fortin, Ryley Flynn of Mountain Valley High School, FSB's Leanne Gange and Gabrielle Rose Chartier of Dirigo High School.
Spruce Mountain High School graduate Chad Richards with Jay Branch Manager Diane Jackson.
(l-r) FSB lender Patrick Dore, Carrabec High School graduate Bianca Beaulieu, Skowhegan High School graduate Leah B. Kruse and and Madison Area Memorial High School graduates Kayla Bess and Aly LeBlanc and Skowhegan Branch Manager Sally Dwyer.
Mt. Abram High School graduate Courtland David Talmage with FSB's Beckie Bowering.
Rangeley Lakes Regional School graduate Michaela Shorey with Rangeley Branch Manager Leeanna Wilbur.